March 12, 2016

A LETTER TO MY DAUGHTER ON HER FIRST BIRTHDAY


My Dearest Roxy,

Where do I even begin to find the words?

Exactly one year ago--this very hour--you were placed in my arms for the first time.


In these short, 12 months, you've turned my life upside down in all the best ways.

You've shaped and continue to shape me into the person I've always wanted to be.

And I could go on and on about all the things I've tried to teach you and what you've learned.

But really, you were the teacher.

On the day you were born, you taught me that I could conquer my fears. You gave me the most spiritual experience of my life: bringing you into this world.

That night you taught Daddy and I that you had your own little personality and we got a glimpse of the adventures ahead with you. You were so feisty from the start!

And you cried for 3 hours. (:

You didn't waste time letting us know exactly what you wanted. We knew you were determined and strong willed right from the start.

We thought we were patient people. But you taught us a whole new level of it.

We thought we were selfless. But now we truly know and say that we'd easily give and devote our lives to you.

You taught me to never be comfortable. That life is ever changing and there's always something new to overcome and learn. I found the true meaning of striving for the best.

You've taught me to live day by day, minute by minute. To savor the precious moments and to take the challenges one step at a time.

When you rolled over for the first time, you taught me you were going to learn on your own time. That I couldn't force you. That you had your agency. That I could teach you to the best of my ability and show you the way, but in the end you are the one who gets to make the move.

And you always did it. When you started crawling. Standing up. Cruising. It all happened because you decided to. And though I worried, you often amazed me how quickly you learned on your own.

You taught me that it's okay to make mistakes and that I could be loved perfectly despite my imperfections. I've said before that being a mom must be giving me glimpses of what Heavenly Father feels for us.. but seeing the way you look at me and love me and think that I'm the most wonderful thing you ever laid eyes on first thing in the morning has confirmed that someone really could love me completely. Flaws and all.

Most of all, my little Belle, I never knew I could love someone this much until I met you. Really. And it just keeps growing and keeps getting better and better. Though it is also sad that you are getting older and more independent, I can't wait to share more incredible, challenging, beautiful years ahead with you.

Happy First Birthday to my perfect, beautiful, intelligent, funny daughter. YOU are my world.

Love, Mommy

 photo kerisig_zpsbc8802b2.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10