August 31, 2015

FREEZER JAMMIN

Last week I learned something new.

I learned how to make freezer jam! 

Well, I basically did .5 of a batch all by my big girl self while Marli and Lisa coached me from the sidelines. 

Because let's be honest, I'd be a hot mess if I tried to attempt this myself. 
...Which is basically my life story every night at dinnertime. (We may or may not keep a fire extinguisher in our pantry because of me.) 

Anyway, anyone who is as fabulous as a cook as me would appreciate how EASY and YUMMY and FRESH this homemade jam is.

What inspired us? 8 lbs of strawberries for 9 bucks! Score. Thanks to Marli for hooking me up! Plus she has done it all before and had all kinds of delicious things to say about having homemade jam for toast, PB&Js, gifts, etc. 

Of course I could not refuse. And I may just trapeze on other fruit deals in the future just so I can JAM PACK (yes, that just happened) my freezer with more mouth watering goodness. I won't be upset if it's all we have to survive on in case some crazy disaster hits. 

So I might as well share the recipe, right? There are tons out there, but I believe this is just the one you can find on a Sure-Jell box or on the Kraft recipe website. All you need is the following (for each batch): 

•2 cups of crushed/puréed strawberries 
•1 box of SURE-JELL fruit pectin 
•4 cups of sugar (measured into separate bowl) <--exactly what I'm sayin' right here. Addiction. 
•3/4 cup of water 
Directions:

-Crush/puree strawberries.
-Measure exactly 2 cups of crushed strawberries into large bowl. Stir in sugar.
-Let the sugar and strawberry mixture stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
-Mix water and pectin in small saucepan. Bring to boil on high heat, stirring constantly. Continue boiling and stirring for 1 minute.
-Add pectin to strawberry mixture. Stir for 3 minutes.
-Fill your jam containers immediately within 1/2 inch of tops (this leaves room for it to expand) and cover with lids.
-Let stand at room temperature for 24 hours. Jam is now ready to use. Store in fridge for up to 3 weeks or in the freezer for up to 1 year.

Easy peasy, right? 
                           
We saved maybe close to half of the strawberries (the not so ripe ones) to use for salads, freeze for smoothies, etc. and we STILL made four batches of this stuff!

Thanks Marli and Lisa! And thanks Lisa for watching baby girl so I could get messy with this! She had a fun day with her Auntie and Nana.

I think peaches will be my next victim...

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10