September 15, 2013

Last Sunday. Last Nursery.

No, really, we actually LOVE nursery!

I feel like I have been writing the word bittersweet a bunch. But that's just it. There is no other word to describe our lives right now. So many good changes are happening, but so many hard ones too!

Cameron and I have been in our ward for over a year, and we were called as nursery leaders just a few weeks after we moved in. I was probably more excited than the kids were! I love children, and I had previously worked with kids at a family treatment center, so I was excited to be able to put my experiences from there to good use. 

WELL... after some crying, name calling, pushing, running, etc. I was starting to second-guess myself. No, that's not completely true. Honestly and truly, it wasn't that bad. I actually felt quite good about our first week in our new calling, but it definitely wasn't easy! 

Cam and I worked really, really hard to make nursery the most meaningful for our kids. We spent a lot of time on our knees praying that the children would leave nursery retaining what we taught them about the Gospel. We wanted them to leave knowing how precious they were and that Jesus loves them. We wanted them to learn how to be polite, happy, nice, and share with others. Most importantly, we wanted to prepare them fully for primary and for the next steps in their lives. We truly loved them and cared for their well-being. 

Some days I left nursery crying because it was so difficult. But.. there were many days where I left nursery tearing up for a very different reason. We had many sweet and simple moments that made it all worth it. It brings me to tears just thinking about it! There have been many, many Sundays where Cam and I would come home just laughing about the little funny things the kids would say or do. And just seeing them change, grow and learn was so powerful for us. I was ecstatic knowing that they remembered words like, "resurrection" after practicing it with them extensively. And hey, that's a hard word for a two year old! 

So, we think it's funny when we tell people we are nursery leaders and they are like... "Oooh, uh, how's that?" or "Oh, I'm so sorry". No, seriously peeps, we have LOVED nursery. 

They taught us so much. Shoot, I think they taught us more than we taught them!  

We found what worked and what didn't VERY quickly--and simply stuck with what worked. I felt like a proud mama seeing our kids sit in their chairs quietly for the lesson or know all of the words to the nursery songs (which I totally had to learn with them! haha) by the end of our time with them. 

This is when we very first started nursery a year ago. Our coordinators captured this. All of these little youngins are in primary now. This was story time!

So why in the world am I writing all of this?? I'll tell you why! Mr. Moose and I bought a house and we're moving this week. We are so excited for this new chapter in our lives, but, like I said, it's been a bittersweet deal.. ya know, having it our last Sunday and last nursery and all. I wanted to write a big long letter to the new nursery leaders giving them all the tips and tricks and help prepare them some (like I was their mommy or something..?) but I didn't. They will be amazing and be influenced by the kids in a different way I'm sure. But we're gonna miss those mini people. A LOT. 

Does this mean we are officially big kids now?

Eh. I don't know. Perhaps so, perhaps we need to be. We are definitely overjoyed with the idea of having a place of our own. I think we feel like big kids now. Yeah.. yes we do! Eek!

More on this soon! 

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations Keri! I was sitting in the audience when you and your husband were called to be nursery leaders. You were replacing us because I was already super pregnant and all. I thought about telling you but I was too shy to approach you. I'm glad you loved it so much! :) So did we, when we were there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadia, I had no idea!! That's awesome. I feel honored to have taken over after you guys--I'm sure you were so wonderful with the kids. Glad you loved it too! It's okay, I'm super shy too ;) I wish we could have gotten to know you guys better, but I'm glad we have social media to keep up with each other's lives.

      xoxo

      Delete
    2. I wish we had, too. I always thought you were really pretty, got intimidated and kept to myself. I'm so awkward, ha ha. But you are totally right, social media is the best. Can't wait to find out more about your new house and good luck moving! :)

      Delete
    3. Girl, no need to be intimidated! I am such an awkward tree myself. Haha. Plus, you are GORGEOUS!
      Thank you so much for your sweet words. I'll be writing more on the house very soon (:

      Delete

01 09 10