September 10, 2013

God Be With You Till We Meet Again

Sleep Deprivation. 

Friday night Cameron and I went to his mission companion/good friend's wedding reception in North Salt Lake. 

Here's how it went:

Rush home from work in Salt Lake
Get dressed and wrap the gift
Rush back to N. Salt Lake
Climb a mountain (practically) to find the event
Drop off the gift
Stand in line
Hug the bride and groom and recount the last two years of our lives in one sentence
Stare at desserts and realize we don't have time
Rush back home
Grab our stuff
Head to NM

Whew! We didn't leave town till 9:30. But you know what? So worth it. SO worth it. We love Andy, and it's been way too long since we've seen him. Awesome to see him happily married. 

Anyway, we figured since it was so late we would stop in Moab or Monticello and then wake up early to drive the rest of the way. 

Well.. we started talking away.. about EVERYTHING under the sun. We had barely seen each other the past week so we just spewed! Ya know. Just about whatever. Didn't matter. We found entertainment in the most random things. A lot of laughs and a few tears. 

Pretty soon we were in Moab, then Monticello.. then Cam looked at me with that mischievous look he gets. You know, the one that says, "let's go eat out" (when we know we shouldn't). Yep, we were gonna pull it--who cares? We were wide awake anyway! 

We got to Ramah about 5:30 in the morning. No one was expecting us that early, so we didn't want to go slam-jamming on doors. So we decided to sleep in the car till 6:30 then try knocking. Cam crawled over to the passenger's seat and held me since I was freezing. Sounds uncomfortable, but it was cute.. just spooning there, scrunched in the passenger's seat. We are so romantic. 

I must have been running on something because I could not get a good nap in that day. I just kept thinking about all the people we needed to see and all the things we had to do. No time for sleep! First stop: Baby Han. 

This picture KILLS me. Han is like what? I'm doing my weird laugh/gum smile thing. And just gaze into Cam's eyes. Tears of joy? Such a tender moment. 
No, those are sleep deprived eyes. Ones that you try to keep open for a flashing camera and multiple pictures. Thanks, Lisa for capturing this. I love it!

We were oh so happy to see baby Han and have been looking forward to it all week. He was so sweet and precious of course. I'm a proud auntie and Cam's a proud uncle. Such a beautiful boy.

Cam got a little nap in while I went to see my Gram and Grandma Luella for my second stop. Then we went to Timberlake for our third and had Madre's yummy Filipino food. We met Shelbi and her boy Josh too. Cam went back to his parents while I went to spend the night with Ciara in Grants for my fourth and final stop. I mean, it's cool that we are from the same town, but also un-cool. You get what I mean? We want to spend a lifetime with each individual family member and friend, but it's just a little tricky to do in 24 hours!

God Be With You Till We Meet Again

So. My best friend Ciara and I have been friends since we were but niños. In fact, I don't even remember actually meeting her.. I've just always known her. My Gram babysat her when we were littles and her mom called us Bopsie Twins--hence, why we call each other "Bopsie". Even though she moved from Ramah to Grants when we were eight and we never went to school together, we have always been inseparable and found ways to stay close even to this day. 

Kindergarten Graduation

Playing Tea Party at Gram's. Look at Shelbs! Oh Sebs.

Well, if you all didn't know, Ciara was called to serve a full-time LDS mission to the Philippines Angeles Mission for a year and a half. Seriously? Out of all the places?? I cried of course as I watched her open her letter. So meant to be, kids. The Gospel is TRUE.

She had her farewell this Sunday--hence the crazy trip. So I went to stay with her on Saturday night for her last little "girl's night" before she got set apart. I was crying when I walked in the doors of her house, so you know how I'm feeling about all this. But the best word for it: bittersweet. I'm extremely proud of her and I wouldn't want her to do anything else right now, but I'm also going to miss having her be a phone call away. You know, it's now hitting me that I will not hear her voice for a year and a half! Hard stuff, but again, wouldn't want it any other way.

Girls night was fun. We all went out to eat at La Ventana and dessert was non-negotiable. We laughed and shared memories. When we went back to Ciara's house we talked for a bit then crashed. We were both so beat!

She gave her farewell talk the next morning in Sacrament meeting. I can't find the words to describe it or how I felt. If you were there, you know what I mean. The spirit was present and so overwhelming. All I can say is that she's ready. And I know she will touch many lives in the Philippines. If you haven't already, check out her blog at: http://ciarashley.blogspot.com/. 

We celebrated with food and laughs after the meeting. Ciara had lots of people to visit, but we kept coming back to each other--savoring every little moment we had together. When it finally came time to go, Ciara walked us out to our car. We just held each other and cried. She made Cameron promise to take care of me and tell me I'm beautiful every day. 



The ride home was more quiet this time. I cried for a bit then took a nap. Then I got woken up by Ciara's call. I was her last phone call right before she went in to get set apart. I was honored. Honored in that moment and honored to have been blessed with such a good friend my entire life. 

As I am writing this, I am tearing up. I want to know what she is thinking right now since she leaves so early in the morning on her flight to the MTC in Manila. Oh you know we'd be chattin' it up if we could--talking for 2 hours just like the usual. 

We are home now and life is back to normal. The trip was a RUSH, but every minute was perfect. But, there wouldn't be enough time in the world with our long-distance family and friends. But to all of you, God be with you till we meet again. I pray that the time will feel short because there is nothing in the world that means more to me than the people in my life and spending my time with them. 

Good night everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10